Castles and Fortresses
Doria Castle has dominated the village since 1100 and has been the backdrop history to the various battles between Guelphs and Ghibellines and against the Savoy state throughout history. The “Sala Doria-Grimaldi” exhibition space is equipped with the latest multimedia equipment and tells the story of the pact of loyalty to the Grimaldi family of Monaco that links Dolceacqua to the Principality. Doria Castle hosts a variety of events throughout the year, thanks to its conference room and fully equipped kitchen.
Sant Tecla Fort
Santa Tecla Fort, in the centre of Sanremo, is of recent Genoese origin (1756) and is the only one to have its gun ports facing the city. Its purpose has changed over time and recent renovation by the Superintendence for Architectural and Landscape Heritage of Liguria has made it possible to use several spaces on the ground floor. Today the Fort is once again at the disposal of the town, hosting exhibitions and cultural initiatives.
Fort of the Annunciation
The Forte dell’Annunziata in Ventimiglia, built during the reign of the Royal House of Savoy for defensive purposes, dominates the modern port of “Cala del Forte” with an impressive terrace overlooking the sea. It is home to the G. Rossi Archaeological Museum, which has been reopened with a new exhibition dedicated to the history of the structure and to the discoveries of prehistoric rock art in the Valle delle Meraviglie. The Forte dell’Annunziata is open for conferences, events and cultural initiatives.
Castello della Lucertola, which translates literally as Lizard Castle, in Apricale, was built in the 10th century in a strategic position on the hill overlooking the medieval village by the Counts of Ventimiglia. After passing into the hands of the Doria family, it was subsequently razed to the ground by the Grimaldis of Monaco. Rebuilt with reduced military functions, it underwent numerous alterations over the centuries, the last of which was the construction of a wall to create the interior hanging garden. Today it houses Apricale History Museum and is a privileged location for art exhibitions and cultural events.